Thursday, May 19, 2011

My how things have changed

Upon reflection, there is a natural sentiment to a simpler day and time of yester year. For my generation, we recall the parachute pant, rap, jams, emergency only cell phones carried in the trunks of most cars encased in a duffel bag, and this new finagled thing called the World Wide Web.

Current youth, are now dressing in 80's attire as retro days in homecoming festivities. I wonder what they will come up with next was one of the sayings I heard out of my grandparents mouths. I find my self having uttered the exact same thing! With the fast paced lifestyle most are living, I wonder what the kiddos of today will reflect upon when they are my age?

My parents can recall the first TVs and when TVs became colored. Now kids have TVs/Phones/Radios/Internets in their pocket! With information overload or at the rate information travels, kids are loosing their sense of wonder, excitement, and anticipation of new things on the horizon. Saddens me. I now know what the older generations must think/feel.

Excuses for lack of responsibility have evolved as well. For instance, in Mayberry days the "dog ate my homework" was overused rational excuse for failure to complete and assignment. Today, it has morphed into, "my iPod must not be compatible with the schools' PC server, I'll have to email that to you." Or my personal favorite, "was that a posted assignment on your webpage?"

Having traveled outside the USA on a recent mission trip, I saw kids being kids. Playing kick the can, or taking turns blowing/popping bubbles allowed kids to be kids and not miniature CEOs! Loved the freedom they had to run, frolic, and explore!

......longing for a simpler time and place! (and less distractions) Makes you want to tip toe through the tulips OR the Lillies of the Field:)

No comments:

Post a Comment