Friday, May 20, 2011

Winding Down to Gear Up

Have you ever notice how people are in sure a hurry to do this or that or to get somewhere, yet they NEVER get there! Kinda reminds me of a hamster in a cage on the wheel.

While growing up, I can recall many times in which we were told before hand of a special event. I would count down in my head or sometimes on a calendar. With each day passing, my anticipation would increase. For instance, when my beloved Uncle Hunk would be coming home from college, this would cause the week to drag along so slow until the Friday afternoon school bell would ring. Then the weekend would be filled of rides in a blue Chevy Nova, sucking on peppermints, listening to 'Jeremiah was a BullFrog' on his 8-track, and games of kick-ball. Then the dreaded time after Sunday dinners' (deep dish taco and stardust salad) as he pack up his car! My sister and I would sit on his feet with our little legs wrapped tightly around his ankles with tears in our eyes begging him not to go!

Kids today still need the anticipation of delayed gratification!!!

As a young kid, I would enjoy getting together with certain relatives for holidays. I recall one particular side of my family who were MASTERS at fostering the excitement....my mom's family! We would be all together making plans. Kids were excited for 'X' and the adults would still be debating/planning. It was a hurry up and wait. What got on my nerves then, I kinda miss now. Our lives have drifted and we are all very busy, so those family times are very limited. Now, I'm the adult who is making kids wait!

My dad has an infamous Uncle. This unwed, political activist, camera toting uncle is what makes stories/nightmares...lol. This uncle is the one who has many quirks...some favorable others not so much. Uncle Teapot Candidate has to live part of the year in a warmer climate, so we see him on a limited bases. He has three homes, used to drive a BMW, and keeps up with the genealogical records for the family or the historical society.

I recall many Christmas dinners having to wait to open presents until he had made not only his arrival, but his contribution to the removal of food and all things merry. The ten grands would be furious with him, bless his heart -he's precious! Then there was the dreaded rounds of posing for his generational pictures.

Ok, I have digressed into a rant. Back to the topic at hand. On one of my mission trips to the Dominican Republic, I noticed that there was no cultural barrier on the concept of hurry and and wait. There were 20 of us to load onto a bus with supplies. We would be loaded and waiting on the bus driver who saw a friend, he was pulled over talking too. Luckily,  they ran on island time and everybody was okay with it!

My children this week are winding up a GREAT school year! As we are gearing up for a interstate move, we are gearing up for the first year of high school for Topher, Eman's first year of middle school, and Haybabe will be starting first grade. While packing up and winding up, I find myself very nostalgic, tired, and excited. It's like being a kid again waiting on her Uncle Hunk!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment